ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Beth Demke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2013 11:30:51 -0500

Megan,

We dealt with this type of question often when we first opened 18+ years ago, but it happens less often now. There was (and sometimes still is) a misconception that we are supported by the school district or city, in other words taxpayers were already paying for our services.

My response has always been two-fold: 1) A brief description: "Our science center is a non-profit organization that provides a fun learning experience for the entire family, much like the zoo (a very popular venue in our community), and you wouldn't ask the zoo to admit adults free." And 2) Redirect: "If daily admission is a concern, you may want to consider a membership, which allows free admission for your entire family for a full year."

We also allow visitors to convert daily admission paid into a membership if they decide before they leave that day. Once adults are in the gallery, they rarely need to be convinced that the experience was beneficial for them as well as their children.

Beth Demke
Executive Director
Gateway to Science
1810 Schafer Street, Suite 1