ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2012 17:26:21 -0800

FYI--Early in the years (1940s and 1950s) of operation of Pittsburgh's original Buhl Planetarium and Institute of Popular Science (which was Pittsburgh's science and technology museum 1939-1991), Lecture Hall demonstrations included the "Micro-Zoo" which used a device called an epideoscope (early overhead projector with a microscope).

General information about the Micro-Zoo and photo of epideoscope:
http://buhlplanetarium2.tripod.com/Buhlexhibits.htm#microzoo

Technical information about the epideoscope:
http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/BuhlAidesbookc8p82.JPG

Staff instructions for presentation of the Micro-Zoo and use of the epideoscope:
http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/BuhlAidesbookc8p81.JPG

At the following links is the text of a 1953 MicroZoo lecture:

http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/BuhlAidesbookc8p70.JPG
http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/BuhlAidesbookc8p71.JPG
http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/BuhlAidesbookc8p72.JPG
http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/BuhlAidesbookc8p73.JPG
http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/BuhlAidesbookc8p74.JPG
http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/BuhlAidesbookc8p75.JPG
http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/BuhlAidesbookc8p76.JPG
http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/BuhlAidesbookc8p77.JPG
http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/BuhlAidesbookc8p78.JPG
http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/BuhlAidesbookc8p79.JPG
http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/BuhlAidesbookc8p80.JPG

gaw

Glenn A. Walsh, Project Director,
Friends of the Zeiss < http://friendsofthezeiss.org >
Electronic Mail - < [log in to unmask] >
SPACE & SCIENCE NEWS, ASTRONOMICAL CALENDAR:
  < http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/#news >
Twitter: < http://twitter.com/spacewatchtower >
Facebook: < http://www.facebook.com/pages/SpaceWatchtower/238017839577841?sk=wall >
Blog: < http://spacewatchtower.blogspot.com/ >
Author of History Web Sites on the Internet --
* Buhl Planetarium, Pittsburgh:
  < http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com >
* Adler Planetarium, Chicago:
  < http://adlerplanetarium.tripod.com >
* Astronomer, Educator, Optician John A. Brashear:
  < http://johnbrashear.tripod.com >
* Andrew Carnegie & Carnegie Libraries:
  < http://andrewcarnegie.tripod.com >
* Civil War Museum of Andrew Carnegie Free Library:
  < http://garespypost.tripod.com >
* Duquesne Incline cable-car railway, Pittsburgh:
  < http://inclinedplane.tripod.com >
* Public Transit:
  < http://andrewcarnegie2.tripod.com/transit >