From:
Celina Dykstra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2013 15:07:03 -0400
PTP

a number of months ago a client had chronic nipple pain. Was treated for thrush, serratia marcescens x 2, had thick posterior tt and ult revised by Dr. Kotlow. Worked relentlessly on latch, tried every single nipple cream an ointment around. Had chiropractic, ate an antinflammatory diet, removed allergens. Did try apno, was not willing to try other steroid compounds while I was working with her as her nipple tissue was so friable. Had Raynaud's and was unable to pump more than a few oz a day, barely.. most often just a skiff on the bottom of the bottle - they tried oxytocin spray which worked a handful of times. Other treatments included herbal galactagogues, domperidone, lactation supportive foods, frequent pumping hands on, not sure if they tried acupuncture. She also has been taking Vit D, EPA/DHA and a good B-complex. Mother had full thyroid panel done, prolactin levels, insulin levels, etc etc. saw a great endocrinologist.

When trying feeding bottle first, then breast - to finish at the breast, she reacted to the formula she was using with a whole body reaction, aches, feverish, muscle weakness and brain fog. They chose to find donor milk, which they have been very happy with. Baby has thrived and through this all has loved breastfeeding. Mom has always felt that baby got much more by breastfeeding than mom could ever pump. They have been supplementing with 20+ oz. They were never able to supplement at the breast due to the degradation of her nipple tissue whenever any tubing would rub against it.

I saw them today after a couple of months of not connecting. Mom reported that she finally began to take Cymbalta for depression and fibromyalgia. Side effect - her nipple pain has almost completely resolved. She noted that her baby - 13 mo, will nurse for longer periods of time than previously. I noted that baby's tongue dimples in the center of the blade where a frenum would attach from underneath (like a shallow bowl that has a deeper indent in the center) which could explain the last of the pain. Fascinating. It was one of the things I asked about as it can be related to raynaud's or rather, raynaud's can be more common in women with fibromyalgia and it was one of the areas she worked on with her health care provider - providing nutritional and supplemental support for fibromyalgia.

I am hoping to learn more about this and hope this information has the potential to help other mothers.

Celina D, IBCLC, LLLL -

I am so impressed with this baby and so pleased that this mom finally has some answers.