ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
William Katzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2013 15:21:35 -0500

Charlie,

I understand where you are coming from, but they actually have not eliminated funding for all STEM museum projects outside of the Smithsonian, which was my first reaction to reading the news months ago.
What they have done is reorganized the governmental programs.  Instead of allowing every governmental agency to fund STEM programs, only a select few can with an emphasis on accountability.  Yes, the era of  evaluation is upon us!  I doubt that will ever go away.  In a sense it has always been there:  every time a person walks through your museum's doors, that visitor is evaluating your efforts - it's just less of a formal evaluation.

Remember:  IMLS and NSF's AISL programs still exist.  The ones that had the most revamping seem to be agencies like NASA and Dept. of Energy, who really did seem to get their EPO efforts taken away and given to the Smithsonian.  If this proposal proceeds it will likely remove a number of good programs (the Smithsonian could conceivably keep the programs working though).  It will also likely remove a number of programs that although well intentioned may not have been conducted with enough expertise (how hard could it be to do science outreach - give it to the grad student/intern/etc).

-William "not speaking for my institution" Katzman