ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
William Katzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 2013 12:46:34 -0500

Exactly.  But I don't have experience with the video spinners - how much (software and hardware) would this cost?

-William

On Jun 3, 2013, at 12:36 PM, Eric Siegel wrote:

> it would be cool to do this on one of david durlach's video spinners...they are very cool and durable kit that visitors both love and cant break.

> On Jun 3, 2013, at 1:24 PM, William Katzman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
>> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
>> *****************************************************************************
>>
>> I should also state that we see this as an animation that could be played forward or rewound quickly or skipped in a manner similar to: http://htwins.net/scale2/ or http://www.powersof10.com/ or like so many of those wonderful time lapsed video pieces made into exhibits that allow you to see it slowly, quickly or rewind it as you like.
>>

>> On Jun 3, 2013, at 12:14 PM, William Katzman wrote:
>>
>>> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
>>> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
>>>
>>> I am discussing with a colleague the idea of an animation that would allow one to "time travel" to see how the universe formed (formation of the galaxies, etc) in the span of a couple of minutes (so it can be adapted into an exhibit).  I figured I would tap the collective conscious of this group to see what experiences people have had in the past regarding animations.  In particular I am curious about
>>> 1) Cost Estimates (In the past I have seen figures on the order of 5k-10k / minute of animation) does this ring true?
>>> 2) Pitfalls to avoid.
>>> 3) Do you know of any similar projects (I have seen the computational pieces put out by U.Chicago:  http://cosmicweb.uchicago.edu/filaments.html )
>>> 4) If pursued and funded I expect this would be released free of charge on the web and for use by science centers...would that be interesting to you?