ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Catherine Olmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 May 2013 13:20:02 -0400

In the late 1990's, when our museum was just starting, a Board member suggested that because we could not afford to pay a sufficiently large salary to attract the type of experienced Development Director we wanted, we should offer a salary that we could afford to pay as well as offering a bonus if cash funds greater than some threshold were brought in during the year. At that time, we inquired on this list-serve and with several people experienced in the development field. We heard a resounding "No!" and that this practice is considered unethical in the development field and is just not done. And so we did not adopt it.

We are currently engaged in a Development Director search. Again, a Board member (a different person from the original one) suggested incorporating a bonus, recognizing that what we can afford to pay might not attract the best people in the development field. I replied indicating what we learned years ago. He has since contacted some of the top people in two schools at a leading (Research 1) university as well as someone in the university's foundation. One says that they have had a bonus system in place for 10 years, a second has had it in place for severe years, and the third intends to initiate it this year.

So my questions to this list-serve are:
* Do you offer a bonus to your main development officer? If yes, what are the details of the bonus?
* If you do offer a bonus to your main department officer, do you also offer one to others in the development department, e.g., associates and assistants?
* If you do offer a bonus to your main department officer, do you also offer a bonus system to your other staff, e.g., exhibits, gallery operations, programs, etc.? If no, how do you avoid the inevitable bad feelings that could ensue?
* If you do not offer a bonus system, why?

Many, many thanks for your insight into this confusing situation! Feel free to respond off the list-serve, if you wish.

Catherine Olmer

Executive Director, WonderLab Museum of Science, Health and Technology
Street Address:
   308 West 4th Street, Bloomington, IN 47404
Mailing Address:
   P. O. Box 996, Bloomington, IN 47402-0996
(812) 337-1337, X16
(812) 330-1337 fax

Professor of Physics, Emerita, Indiana University
Bloomington, IN 47405