HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Veit, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2013 15:16:21 +0000
Several years back my colleagues Matt Tomaso, Stanley Walling and I had a blind student--with a seeing eye dog--take a Montclair State University field school at Feltville/the Deserted Village in Union County, New Jersey.  The student was able to excavate as part of a team, screened for artifacts, processed artifacts, and helped with site preparation.  He had a pretty complete experience.

I also had a volunteer participate in a Monmouth University field school who had lost her lower legs to diabetes.  She was confined to a wheel chair and did not excavate, but screened, worked on notes, and was an excellent member of our team.

If someone wants to participate in a dig I think that we should do whatever we can to facilitate that participation.

Rich Veit