ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 22 May 2013 13:45:56 -0500
From:
William Katzman <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:

A common practice at my last institution was bonuses dependent on the financial performance of the institute as a whole - but the bonuses were relatively universal across all of the staff (in other words the Development Director got a bonus when everyone did...item 22 on Compensation and Contracts.  It is true that the Development Director contributed to the bonus by bringing in money, but the other staff also contributed  by either reigning in costs, bringing in visitors, or doing better sales at the front door.  If you're just looking at bonuses for the Development Director then you probably aren't in alignment.

-William

On May 22, 2013, at 1:35 PM, marilyn hoyt wrote:

> Re:  To bonus in development (or not....)
>
> Fortunately, this is a set of questions addressed in the code of conduct
> for the Association of Fund Raising Professionals:
> COMPENSATION AND CONTRACTS
> 21. Members shall not accept compensation or enter into a contract that is
> based on a percentage of contributions; nor shall members accept finder’s
> fees or contingent fees. Business members must refrain from receiving
> compensation from third parties derived from products or services for a
> client without disclosing that third-party compensation to the client
> (for example, volume rebates from vendors to business members).
> 22. Members may accept performance-based compensation, such as bonuses,
> provided such bonuses are in accord with prevailing practices within the
> members’ own organizations and are not based on a percentage of
> contributions.
> 23. Members shall neither offer nor accept payments or special
> considerations
> for the purpose of influencing the selection of products or services.
> 24. Members shall not pay finder’s fees, commissions or percentage
> compensation based on contributions, and shall take care to discourage
> their organizations from making such payments.
> 25. Any member receiving funds on behalf of a donor or client must meet the
> legal requirements for the disbursement of those funds. Any interest or
> income earned on the funds should be fully disclosed.
> -----
> So, bonusing is not considered unethical, but it is bounded by "common
> practice" among culturals in your area.  Where is your board coming from?
> --Fundraising is not another word for sales.  It is relationship building.
> Donors of all kinds -- government, individuals, foundations, corporations
> -- are being asked to support the mission of our organization.  So, are
> they being asked to support the mission...or are they being asked to
> support a staff bonus?  Is there a self-interest at work here?  If there is
> even a hint of self-interest, donor/gant relationships are disrupted.  And
> even if this worst case scenario does not play out, other negative
> consequences can result. Here's an example from one of my colleagues who
> works in major gifts for a large national charity.  "It's coming up to June
> 30th and I needed another $100,000 for the top bonus. So I asked four
> $25,000's and got them.  I hate this system.  Each one of them was worth
> six figures if I could have more time to cultivate them."
> --Are you really seeing bonusing in your area culturals? Working
> nationally, I often see bonusing hourly frontline staff selling
> memberships.  I see it in outsourced phone sales, even gala producers.  I
> have seen development staff hired because of their experience with the
> foundations, corporations, and government agencies that fund culturals...as
> well as many of the "frequent flier" major donors.  These desirable
> [...]

William Katzman
Program Leader
LIGO Science Education Center
"Inspiring Science"