ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2012 10:51:02 -0700
7bit
From:
Joe Ruggiero <[log in to unmask]>

Hello All

I'd like to thank Alan for adding his remembrances, and for filling in
the gaps of my own memory of the event. He also gives a much more
thorough description of the activities that were part of Big Machine
Summer. Certainly, personal experience does color our general
impressions, which it as it should be.

"Big Machine Summer" was an excellent first effort to use the outdoor
spaces around the Hall. At the time, it was just a gravel, weedy parking
lot. Nothing like the fine outdoor space NYHoS has now.

Being still so new in the field then, it was a great pleasure for me to
work with Marcia and especially Jane Safer, who, if I'm not mistaken,
may have been volunteering much of her time. It was amazing the way they
pulled it all together in such a short time with such a small budget in
cynical NYC. Just imagine interacting with those construction companies!

Since I worked during the week and only filled in on one or two
weekends, I didn't see nearly all the great visitor interactions that
Alan remembers. I completely missed the Backhoe Rodeo, for example. One
story I heard involved a hot shot operator from Case Equip. putting a
golf ball into the narrow end of a traffic cone with a backhoe.

Now an egg looks a lot like a golf ball from a small distance. And maybe
Alan, who it is now revealed received some instructions in operating
that backhoe (can we call him a 'ringer?'), performed like a company
expert from Case. He certainly was a hotshot back then. And still is.

Joe R.

--
Joe R
www.TheExhibitGuys.com