ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joe Ruggiero <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2013 11:01:03 -0700

Believe me, I love both natural history museums and art museums. They
are wonderful places. I spent my youth going to the American Museum of
Natural History. Visiting it with my father is one of my strongest
childhood memories, and has shaped who I am today as much as any other
other collected experiences. I continued going all through the time I
lived in NY. Even living in AZ now, I have managed to take my son there
three times, the first when he was just four.

Interactive play has it's place, but to suggest that a natural history
museum is not a purveyor of curiosity hasn't turned the corner in a dark
hallway and been confronted by a pack of timber wolfs hunting its prey
or felt the weight of 100' long blue whale hanging over their head.  I
guess my point  - poorly made - is that you just can't see all the
wonderful things in most natural history museums in your everyday life.
Not too many T-rex's out there on the street (though we do have one here
here in Tucson!). The awful -  the awe inspiring objects that line their
halls, deserve their place.

To be honest, the move in recent years (maybe the last 20) to make
Natural History Museums more like the current crop of today's science
centers of is a step backwards. Most natural history museums do what
they do very well. The same can not be said for most science centers. I
love those dusty displays under glass. There is beauty and curiosity in
everyone of them.

Joe R.