ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Erich Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2013 07:51:16 -0500

Yay for ID day! The first photo of a scientist holding a dinosaur bone up for the two boys is my good friend Carl Mehling.  We were fellow member s of the New York Paleontological Society.

Here in Austin, as a member (current president) of the Paleontological Society of Austin, we help the Texas Natural Science Center do their annual ID day.  It is lots of fun and as Rachel pointed out, amongst the majority of very common stuff folks bring in, there are always some real gems. Things we just cannot quite figure out and possibly new to science.  We do the fossils but they have folks identifying recent animals, artifacts, rocks and minerals.

There are professional, academic and amateur groups in almost every city or region that can be called upon by museums and science centers to help with these events.  Fo many people it isn't just the finding of stuff that gets them excited. It is when they learn that the weird-stone they plucked from the creek is actually a 450 million year old critter who lived when a sea covered the land.  Science is always best when you can hold it in your hand.

Erich

Erich Rose Design
807 The Living End
Austin, TX 78746