Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2012 11:12:21 +0000
>PTP:  I am working with a mom with a 4 month old baby, weighing 18
>lbs.  She returned to work full-time at 6 weeks postpartum.  Her
>cycle returned at 7 weeks postpartum.  Mom pumps q2-3h for approx.
>12 minutes, including nights.  She used to get 4.5 oz each time she
>pumped.  Now she is getting only 3 oz., and mom is very worried
>about her decreased supply.  2 weeks ago she started taking
>fenugreek TID, blessed thistle, oatmeal w/wheat germ and mothers
>milk tea with no increase at this time.  Mother denies any unusual
>stress at this time.  Anyone have any additional suggestions for
>this mom? Or am I missing anything?

Is she feeding the baby at night?

Does she feed the baby at weekends, evenings, mornings?

It's very common for mothers who are exclusively pumping to note a
drop in supply - it's one of the reasons why sustained
'indirect'breastfeeding like this is so unusual.

If she can get in a lot of direct breastfeeding when she is with the
baby, things should be much better. This is more important, IMO, than
any amount of dietary supplements,

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK