Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2012 17:15:43 -0400
Hi -- following (at email's bottom) is an interesting exchange from November, 2011 regarding Dysphagia.  I've been looking through the archives for information about this diagnosis.

I've just been contacted through WIC by a mom of a 6mo old boy diagnosed with "Dysphagia" [permission to post].  Mom is concerned that her supply is going down b/c pumping yields increasingly less.  She is told by MD she must thicken formula or what she pumps for the baby.  I was asked to help set up a pumping schedule to help increase her milk supply.

It is interesting that Ms Genna disagrees with the plan to encourage formula over ebm; some have noted that thickening breastmilk is difficult, though seemingly not impossible.

Without knowing anything about this, my initial reaction was to work with the mom to increase her own milk supply by encouraging direct breastfeeding; she's been pumping, and using a bottle w/ ebm and formula.  (My arguments:  (1)  cheaper,  (2)  easier,  (3)  healthier).

However, I don't want to contravene the MD's advice ... I'm "just" a LLLL, no formal training.  Moreover I'm worried about inadvertently coercing a young mom subject to buffeting by elders.

Nevertheless mom is game to try ramping up her milk production.  I could work with the suggestions posted below that might help her baby tolerate the 'thin', natural milk.  However, I certainly don't want to be endangering anyone.

What advice can anyone here give me as to either (i) how to procede (politically or practically), (ii) the nature of the disease, (iii) important information sources.

Many thanks.

Sara Roos, LLLL of WLA.

from Catherine Watson Genna:
Sometimes position changes during breastfeeding can help a baby with
dysphagia swallow more easily and more safely. Having mom lay flat on
her back, or nearly so, and the baby lay on his belly on mom can help.
Having his head gently tilted back during breastfeeding may help.
Feeding frequently for short periods can help - swallowing precision
usually gets worse with fatigue. Pre-feeding handling such as massage
can also help organize the baby so he swallows better too.

There is absolutely NO reason to favor formula over human milk when
thickened feedings are truly necessary for safe swallowing. If the baby
has been breastfeeding, the breastfeeding relationship can usually
continue by offering the baby the breast after pumping if the baby is
truly not a safe swallower. There are thickeners that work for human
milk, but as Judy mentioned, rice cereal is not one of them.

Usually babies who should get thickened feeds have a history of repeated
lower respiratory infections - pneumonia, etc.

Cervical auscultation is a non-invasive took that can be used to assess
whether position changes are helpful for a breastfeeding baby with
dysphagia.

There is more information in Supporting Sucking Skills in Breastfeeding
Infants, you can read small portions of the first edition free on google
books.

Catherine Watson Genna BS, IBCLC  NYC  cwgenna.com