"K. Jean Cotterman" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 10 Aug 2012 15:40:04 -0400
Stephanie,

Your question is a thorny one. Our profession is only 27 years old. Currently, getting reliable health credits is rapidly becoming less and less of an issue, if you can pay the price for any number of lactational educational programs approved by a central organization for this purpose. LEAARC. The hours of practical experience necessary to learn the clinical aspects of lactation consulting are the difficult part to find as yet.

As far as getting an associate degree in nursing, that would be a personal choice. I know some are doing that, and then working in OB departments and I think clinical experience might be a little easier to come by, but as to whether they can actualy count as clinical lactation experience hours, you still have to have a preceptor etc. as spelled out by the IBLCE.

As a diploma graduate from a school of nursing back in 1951, I can assure you that the nursing degree, in and of itself, would qualify you for a good job in a hospital, or other area, what with the upcoming nursing shortage as the baby-boomer generation of nurses starts to retire

I suggest you begin by contacting IBLCE, the certifying organization.

IBLCE | Lactation Educationwww.americas.iblce.org/lactation-educationCached

Jun 12, 2012 – The standards established by the Lactation Education Accreditation and Approval Review Committee (LEAARC) provide candidates with ...

Find out all about the various pathways one can use to become an IBCLC. There are some on-line providers that are certified by LEAARC. There are many on-line courses which give various types and amounts of continuing education credits.

In addition there are also many programs (who have gained approval from LEAARC) composed of individuals with their IBCLC plus further health and educational degrees and professional qualifications who go around the country, and the world, making their living by presenting courses that have the added value of being directly interactive with the instructor(s). There is a price to pay for their expertise, so be warned.   Once again, the clinical experience portion must be arranged in addition.

Best wishes in your aspirations.

K. Jean Cotterman RNC-E, IBCLC
WIC Volunteer LC    Dayton OH