From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2012 15:19:46 +1000
Hi Renee,
I think it was I who first posted that link to Lactnet, it doesn't mention USAID- I have been following this story for many years now and have spoken with many individuals involved in the fight to uphold the Milk Code in the Philippines and I've never heard of the involvement of USAID. As I said in my previous post, I believe that the main protagonist was the US Chamber of Commerce and that the US Embassy was also involved. I have had limited interaction with USAID, but what I have had has been quite positive and for example, when the US military was distributing formula (inappropriately) in Afghanistan and USAID was made aware of this, they advocated at high levels in order to get this stopped. If you've got other information that shows that USAID was involved I'd be very interested to hear about it- it's really important that blame be appropriately placed.
Karleen Gribble
Australia

Renee