Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2012 15:19:46 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
Hi Renee,
I think it was I who first posted that link to Lactnet, it doesn't mention USAID- I have been following this story for many years now and have spoken with many individuals involved in the fight to uphold the Milk Code in the Philippines and I've never heard of the involvement of USAID. As I said in my previous post, I believe that the main protagonist was the US Chamber of Commerce and that the US Embassy was also involved. I have had limited interaction with USAID, but what I have had has been quite positive and for example, when the US military was distributing formula (inappropriately) in Afghanistan and USAID was made aware of this, they advocated at high levels in order to get this stopped. If you've got other information that shows that USAID was involved I'd be very interested to hear about it- it's really important that blame be appropriately placed.
Karleen Gribble
Australia

Renee
On 06/08/2012, at 2:42 PM, Renee Hefti wrote:

> Karen, this report, (that I have linked) has been confirmed by IBFAN (and has been going on for a number of years): (US Diplomats), United States Agency for International Development (USAID) is pushing formula in the Philippines, because "US business suffers when women breastfeed" - 1600 deaths (yearly) are attributed to their actions. See June 20, 2012, http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-news/local-blogs/off-pat/7136342/Fonterras-genie-in-the-bottle
> 
> My error is that my post should read 16,000 deaths (some reports say the number is 17,000)
> 
> (Karen wrote: Renee I don't believe that USAID was involved at all in the lobbying against the Milk Code in the Philippines but the US Chamber of Commerce. 
> Karleen Gribble, Australia)
> 
>             ***********************************************
> 
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2