From:
Linda Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2012 08:46:13 -0500
Has anyone seen the Tommie Tippee nipple shields?  I had a pt show up with
them yesterday and it is the first time I have seen them!

They seem very weird with all the holes.  The mom has very restricted
inverted nipples - one that everts fully and needs a shield right now to
assist with latching.  The baby did not like the shield.  It sounded more
"airy".  The baby did fine with the Medela brand.

Also,  I mentioned in an earlier post about my pregnant daughter pumping.
She has quite a bit of colostrum saved up.  I am assuming that we will want
to mix this colostrum with mature milk when giving it to the baby at some
future date?  I guess it really doesn't matter as long as the baby is
breastfeeding well and not just receiving the colostrum?  Hmmm.  I am really
not communicating well today!  Menopause sucks!  :-)  I know how wonderful
the colostrum is - but nature has the mature milk come in around 3 days
postdelivery for a reason.  The baby needs less protein and more fat etc.
So, does anyone have any experience with a large collection of pre-delivery
colostrum???  Would it be better to give to the baby down the road when she
gets her first cold?  I will be talking to the executive director of the
milk bank today about maybe donating some for research and/or use.  I know
there hasn't been a lot of research done on the pre delivery colostrum but
it seems to me like it would be liquid gold for the preemies.  Any thoughts?

Linda Hill RN, IBCLC