ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jason Jay Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2013 09:01:55 -0400

Coincidentally, I was asked recently about the use of "reflective" design in the exhibition field.
Here's a white paper out of Cornell discussing reflective design, using a gallery app in an art museum as a case study.
http://www.nyu.edu/projects/nissenbaum/papers/reflectivedesign.pdf

It looks to me that reflective and agile design share much in common (especially the end-goal).

Whether by name, good exhibition design requires many of the techniques touted by proponents of reflective design. The evaluation regime that has evolved over the last couple decades and the success its practitioners in becoming more integrated in the overall design process is one obvious example of this. And, not to be forgotten, the journal of the National Association for Museum Exhibition, "Exhibitionist," is subtitled, "A Journal of Reflective Practice." So we MUST be on to it.
http://name-aam.org/exhibitionist

As somebody who designs both software and exhibits, I've become increasingly interested in how the design process of both overlaps. Not just because the same people might be doing the same work and therefor apply the same practices, but because custom software is moving towards the center of many design projects. The ubiquity of cheap, off-the-shelf, customizable hardware platforms has freed up software in many ways, by allowing designers to fit hardware to a software solution instead of vice versa. This goes for the tablet app as well as the interactive exhibit with an arduino at its core. We can start with the question, "What different kinds of interaction do we want to enable?" instead of "Will we use a Mac or PC"? We can focus on subtleties of interaction and dedicate more resources to fine-tuning those subtleties.

Pretty exciting.

I think the game design path is one worth exploring, especially as it pertains to the kind of AI that game designers are talking about when they say AI. I've been inspired, reading up on the field recently, in AI design's potential in making more flexible and responsive devices, and thus exhibits.

Very cool. Thanks for starting the discussion.

--Jason

Jason Jay Stevens
Flutter & Wow Museum Projects

P. O. Box 21576