Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2013 09:01:55 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (136 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Coincidentally, I was asked recently about the use of "reflective" design in the exhibition field.
Here's a white paper out of Cornell discussing reflective design, using a gallery app in an art museum as a case study.
http://www.nyu.edu/projects/nissenbaum/papers/reflectivedesign.pdf

It looks to me that reflective and agile design share much in common (especially the end-goal).

Whether by name, good exhibition design requires many of the techniques touted by proponents of reflective design. The evaluation regime that has evolved over the last couple decades and the success its practitioners in becoming more integrated in the overall design process is one obvious example of this. And, not to be forgotten, the journal of the National Association for Museum Exhibition, "Exhibitionist," is subtitled, "A Journal of Reflective Practice." So we MUST be on to it.
http://name-aam.org/exhibitionist

As somebody who designs both software and exhibits, I've become increasingly interested in how the design process of both overlaps. Not just because the same people might be doing the same work and therefor apply the same practices, but because custom software is moving towards the center of many design projects. The ubiquity of cheap, off-the-shelf, customizable hardware platforms has freed up software in many ways, by allowing designers to fit hardware to a software solution instead of vice versa. This goes for the tablet app as well as the interactive exhibit with an arduino at its core. We can start with the question, "What different kinds of interaction do we want to enable?" instead of "Will we use a Mac or PC"? We can focus on subtleties of interaction and dedicate more resources to fine-tuning those subtleties.

Pretty exciting.

I think the game design path is one worth exploring, especially as it pertains to the kind of AI that game designers are talking about when they say AI. I've been inspired, reading up on the field recently, in AI design's potential in making more flexible and responsive devices, and thus exhibits.

Very cool. Thanks for starting the discussion.

--Jason

Jason Jay Stevens
Flutter & Wow Museum Projects

P. O. Box 21576
Detroit, MI 48221

[log in to unmask]

On Apr 16, 2013, at 2:24 PM, Joan Freese wrote:

> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
> *****************************************************************************
> 
> I recently participated in a booksprint (http://www.booksprints.net/). Our end products were infographics, not a book, but I liked the approach and think it makes sense in the new publishing landscape. 
> 
> In the game industry, there are gameathons, which might have a lot in common with interactive development, but not entirely.
> 
> Joan
> 
> 
> Joan Freese  |  Web and Print Producer  |  SciGirls 
> tpt Twin Cities Public Television  |  651.229.1339    
> [log in to unmask]
> 172 East Fourth Street  |  Saint Paul, MN 55101
> 
> Our mission: "Enrich lives and strengthen our community through the power of the media."
> 
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Informal Science Education Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sarah Gruber
> Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:26 AM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Agile Exhibit Development
> 
> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
> *****************************************************************************
> 
> Given a couple of things about exhibit development, it may not be ideal/appropriate/practical to go fully agile--I'm thinking primarily of the need for an exhibit to be pretty much done at a single end point (agile in software usually means multiple releases of a product, 2.0, 2.1, 3.14 : ))--but I think pulling some valuable things from agile and going much of the way there is possible.
> 
> Having said that we're not fully successful at it in curriculum dev., some things are very useful: teams made up of different voices--design, curriculum, tech, admin.; iterative cycles of development instead of long timelines (that end up iterative anyway); pulling the "customer" voice in early and often; frequent check-ins... Many of these practices I do remember from working on exhibits at the Bronx Zoo, even though it wasn't called agile.
> 
> On Apr 16, 2013, at 8:52 AM, Carlyn S Buckler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> 
>> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology 
>> Centers Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
>> **********************************************************************
>> *******
>> 
>> 
>> - Not to disclose too much of my inner geek, the Java Posse folks (podcast) have done several informative podcasts on Agile development process.
>> 
>> http://javaposse.com/java-posse-372-roundup-11-should-we-shoot-agile-i
>> n-the-head-
>> 
>> It's my understanding that if you have several employees who can wholly devote their time to a project for week or two at a time, dropping everything else to be totally immersed in the process, this method can work very well.  It isn't necessarily appropriate for managers, etc. who have many things on their plates which need expedited attention – folks who are pulled in many directions most of the time.  I like the idea of using this paradigm for exhibition development – provided an organization has the FTE exhibition staff to support the method.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> **********************************************************************
>> * For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers 
>> and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
>> 
>> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.
>> 
>> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from 
>> L-Soft. To learn more, visit http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.
>> 
>> To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the 
>> message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to 
>> [log in to unmask]
> 
> ***********************************************************************
> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
> 
> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.
> 
> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.
> 
> To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to [log in to unmask]
> 
> ***********************************************************************
> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
> 
> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.
> 
> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
> http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.
> 
> To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
> message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
> [log in to unmask]

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2