ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
martin weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2013 14:54:05 -0400

 This article is one of many in the last few years that have been highlighting the importance of the microorganisms living in the gut. In addition to this possible link to heart health, they have also recently been tied to obesity risk, and have been firmly shown to play a large role in our immune system. Gut microbes also produce short chain fatty acids, vitamin K, and B vitamins which are absorbed into the bloodstream. It also emphasizes that our diet can have a role in determining our health. This is not something new but the use of vegan as controls introduces an interesting twist.
It is important to remember that this study, as interesting as it is, is just one study and is by no means conclusive. Other studies have suggested a heart benefit from carnitine, and it has also been shown to act as an antioxidant in the body.

Martin

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This message is intended solely for the addressee(s) in the first instance
and may contain confidential information.  Please do not forward this email
without the consent of the sender.