Date:
Fri, 4 May 2012 13:24:25 -0400
>...Carbon dioxide anaesthesia did not impair the memory of treated
> bees, but it did induce a permanent change in their behaviour....
>Treatment of recently emerged bees with carbon dioxide eliminated
>all or most of their brood-rearing and wax-secreting activities and caused
>them to forage at an early age. .... The effects of nitrogen anaesthesia
>were similar to those obtained with carbon
>dioxide.

Thanks for that Pete!

It seems that this observer found no memory impairment, but N2O caused
younger bees to forage early.  If true, this might explain the apparent return
of bees to nearby crops.  Maybe the old ones do not abandon the far-away
crops at all, but the younger ones are suddenly seen foraging close, so that
assumption is made?

Or maybe there is something else coming out of the smoker that does erase
memory?

Anyhow, armed with more information, I am headed out to split again right now.

I always have plans going out, but when I get to the yard, the bees often
tell me I need to change my mind, so we'll see what transpires.  In the meantime
any more info will be greatly appreciated.