From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 May 2012 16:00:47 -0600
I'm sorry to hear about the baby's skin problems! I've had lots of problems with eczema, myself, as have some of my kids and grandkids.  I remember how itchy and painful it was, and could imagine how much worse it would be if it was in the diaper area, so I was very aggressive in preventing and curing it.  Here are a few things that helped that might be new to some.

I avoided everything with fragrance in it, lotion, soap, laundry products, etc..  My third son, as an infant, had a big, red, birth mark on the back of his head.  It peeled so much that the hair would not grow there, and it looked like a big scab.  Finally, I stopped using anything but warm water and a soft washcloth, for his baths, and it made a huge difference!

My main allergen turned out to be detergent, so I really avoided it, especially with babies.  For laundry, I washed things in detergent and put some bleach in with diapers, but I washed it all a second time with a small amount of plain soap flakes. That got out all of the remaining detergent and bleach.  It was easy to find soap flakes, in those days, but not that easy, now.  But, someone could just get a bar of mild, unscented soap and grate it like you would hard cheese.  In Germany, where I had only cold water for the washer, I dissolved the soap flakes in a jar of hot water before adding them. The soap flakes not only got out all the detergent and bleach but softened everything, too.  I washed all of the baby's clothing and bedding that way, and my tops and dresses too, everything that the baby's skin would touch.

I also found that breast milk was a good, hypoallergenic, moisturizer and skin soother.  Thomas's cheeks broke out in little cracks real easily.  I tried to remember to moisturize them several times a day, but sometimes forgot.  When I started using breast milk on them, it was easy, because I just rubbed a few drops of my milk into them every time he nursed!