ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Richard O Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 2013 10:25:28 -0700

I agree, science centers need *enough* money, but too much money can be as
deadly as too little.  It's important to identify the sweet spot of
optimality, and avoid the delusion that more is better.

I often discussed the problem of "money poisoning" with Richard Gregory,
founder of the Exploratory and a major influence on the early
Exploratorium.  As Richard wrote:

"The Exploratory attracted over two million visitors, and became an
accepted Bristol institution with a wide reputation. Curiously and sadly,
it has been killed by the massively funded Millennium project. Money can
destroy as well as create."