From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2012 13:03:07 -0600
Jessica,

I do not know a great deal about the number of ounces a baby needs during the first few days, except that it is much less than it will be later, but I have a few thoughts.

Since this is a surrogacy situation, which it was actually designed for, I assume the intended mom has been on the Newman/Goldfarb protocol for quite a few months, and that she will be counseled to stop the BCPs and start to pump, a month or so before the due date.  I've known moms who did that who were able to pump up to 30 ounces of milk after the month of pumping, and some who were only getting as little as one ounce a day, with most, of course, being somewhere in between. The amount she has been pumping should give you an idea of how much milk the baby would be expected to get from the breast, and whether supplementation in addition to the colostrum would be indicated.  Most likely, she will have some milk saved up in her freezer that she could use in the supplementer, if necessary.

I don't know if colostrum is too thick to go through a supplementer tube or if it is too thick.  If anyone knows, I would be interested in knowing.  It doesn't come up much, in the adoptive moms I counsel, but does occasionally.  However, if there is only a tiny amount of it, I think your idea of giving it with a dropper, cup or syringe might be better, to make sure the baby gets every drop, and then just have the baby suckle as much as he/she will.

I've never had the opportunity of nursing a baby who had not been on bottles and pacifiers for at least a few days, but it has always seemed to me that the adoptive moms I've known who have been able to nurse the baby shortly after birth have had the best milk supplies.  It certainly makes sense that it would.  With my adopted kids, I saw a very strong correlation with the effectiveness of the baby's latch and the amount of milk I could estimate that they were getting.

I'd love to hear how things go for this mom!