From:
Renee Hefti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2012 09:27:08 -0700
Marsha Walker's JHL article is excellent but I hope she / the US Breastfeeding Committee, (USBC) will find a way to get this information out to the public and decision makers.  Lactation Consultants are well aware of what the industry is trying to do but the decision makers and the people on the street still think what Nestle is offering is a wonderful "gift" because no US breastfeeding organization has been willing to do a press release to respond to the NewarkPatch's article praising the Mayor for partnering with Nestle: "New Pilot Program Will Target Childhood Obesity". Isn't it time to stop preaching to the converted and target the other players in this marketing ploy that will increase obesity, sickness and health care costs? (and fill Nestlé's pockets).

The USBC have said they plan to meet with the Mayor this month but the Mayor has the blessing of the New Jersey Health Commissioner to continue the partnership because she considers Nestlé's program a "donation".  I hope the USBC will meet with the Health Commissioner and provide the information that the Nestle program is not a donation but a conflict of interest that is covered in detail under the Code. I have made this suggestion to the USBC but there has been no response.

And why is there no directive, to the Mayor from the Government organizations that tell women they should breastfeed?  Have the USBC asked for this?  Maria Parlapiano in New Jersey and me in Canada don't have the clout as does a US breastfeeding organization with letterhead.

Renee (in Vancouver, Canada)