From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2012 07:01:27 -0400
Dear Lactnet Friends:

 "I just don't see how it can possibly be valid to assume, in the absence
of considerably more research into the matter, that donor milk must be so
far superior to formula that we should be going to any lengths to provide
it instead."

The only assumption I make is this. As there is so much evidence showing
that bovine supplementation of premature infants increases the risk of  NEC
and of milk curd obstruction, and that premature infants receiving donor
human milk go home sooner, grow more slowly and are healthier, I assume
that those same benefits apply to term infants.

There are currently 12 theories as to why formula triggers diabetes; the
formula companies know this, hence their TRIGR trial and their experiments
with low-protein infant formulae in Europe. There are at least 5 theories
as to why formula is one more factor increasing the risk of obesity.

Patents have been applied for by inventors who have created ingredients so
that infant formula don't get diabetes or gut disease (thank you Valerie
McClain for bringing this to our attention years ago!) Industry knows that
its product contains sodium perchlorate (rocket fuel residue), 40 X higher
levels of aluminum than human milk, genetically modified ingredients (soy
and corn), phytoestrogens, silicon, and MSG. None of these have to be
listed on the label.

There is TONS of research on this topic.

warmly,
--
Nikki Lee RN, BSN, Mother of 2, MS, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI, ANLC, CKC
craniosacral therapy practitioner