Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2012 07:55:13 -0400
Subject:
Sender:
From:
"Dana Schmidt, RN, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Although I trust that all of these support groups are wonderful, my concern was not about support groups.  My concern is about mothers GETTING to support groups or lactation consultants as part of the 10th step. This should not be delayed.  Sometimes by the time we reach these mothers, it is already too late.  They are giving formula supplements, they have broken down nipples, they are depressed, worn out, fed up and disappointed.  Sometimes they can get back to breastfeeding and sometimes they can't.  The sooner we start reaching these mothers and support them, the closer we will be in achieving 75/50/25.  An appointment should be made for follow up with someone trained in lactation support (not necessarily the pediatrician unless they have that training). The appointment should be explained to the mother and should be on the discharge instructions.  Similar to a follow up with the pediatrician, audiologist, orthopedic, etc.  Failed breastfeeding is equally important to a failed newborn hearing test and deserves a follow up appointment with a trained professional.  And prevention of problems by having a reassurance visit with a lactation professional goes a long way in promoting bonding and encouraging success in long term breastfeeding.