Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 1993 23:01:34 EDT
ReSending this as I was having some mail service difficulties and am not sure
if this made it out.  Please excuse if this is a redundant message.
Hi all:

I have a single healthy hive of Italians in Central Mass with a 3rd or 4th
generation queen.

I have noted that the hive has been consistantly hostile for several months
now.  Although honey production is great the hive sends out angry bees
without provocation.  Often heading straight for the face of people yards
away, just walking by the hive.

I would like to mellow them down a few notches.  So I would like some advice
on re-queening.  I plan to order a new, replacement, queen from a local bee
supply house but would like to know what to do once I get her.

Should I kill the existing queen and leave the dead queen in the hive as I
introduce the new boxed queen?  Or should I removed the dead queen's body as
I introduce the new queen?

Looking in the Dadant Catalog I note that there are two types of queens to
choose from; "Starline" & "Midnite" while Walter T. Kelley Co. catalog lists
just "3-banded Italian Queens".  What is the difference?

THANKS in advance for the help!

jeff young