HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2012 12:01:47 -0500
 An interesting and typical MacNeish story. He was full of them. Take them with a grain of salt...he was very creative.

James G. Gibb

Gibb Archaeological Consulting

2554 Carrollton Road

Annapolis, Maryland USA ?? 21403

443.482.9593 (Land) 410.693.3847 (Cell)

www.gibbarchaeology.net ? www.porttobacco.blogspot.com

On 04/17/12, Linda Derry<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Harding,

Haven't seen this reference on alcohol and creative bull sessions in archaeology, but I will now hunt it down. I do have a related story that was told to me by the famous archaeologist Scotty MacNeish years and years ago when he was writing his memoirs in the basement of Andover Academy. Here's how I remember it:

 Apparently, during his early career, he was working a site in the American Bottoms near Metropolis Illinois & Paducah Kentucky, and ran out of funds. So he was forced to return to the University of Chicago to obtain more. When he returned south, the moonshiners had taken over the road he had cut into the site, built a still on the site, and these were gun toting men that were apparently not the least bit interested in his prior claim. So he had to move on and rethink his research design. This twist of fate, tied to alcohol, forced creativity upon him. He thought that it led him to a more significant research, changed his career trajectory, and put him on his way to archaeological fame!

Whether it is true or not, it is an awfully good story.

Linda Derry
Site Director
Old Cahawba
719 Tremont St.