From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2012 06:24:22 -0700

> >It really should be "Informed Discussion of Pests, Parasites, and
> Pesticides as they relate to Bees"

Sorry Jeff!  Beekeeping in the absence of pests, parasites, or pesticides
is relatively easy--the bees usually take care of themselves, and make
honey.

The other issues to discuss revolve mainly around techniques to minimize
swarming, and how to super for honey.  These are well covered by the old
masters such as Langstroth, Doolittle, and Miller (in the U.S.).  Not much
has changed in the past 150 years.

On the other hand, pest, parasite, and pesticide issues evolve, and force
us to keep abreast with them on a constant learning curve.

But for many, myself included, pesticides (other than beekeeper-applied
miticides) are pretty much a non issue.  This is likely the case for a
large proportion of small-scale beekeepers, unless you place your bees
adjacent to agriculture. However, for the majority of those who run
commercial operations (and manage the vast majority of colonies in the
U.S.) pesticides are a serious issue.

I spend all day, every day, from morning to dark (or afterwards) with the
bees, especially at this time of year, and both of my son's families, as
well as mine, depend upon me making good management decisions in order that
our bees provide us a living.  I think about pests and parasites every day,
and am using a (natural) miticide many days.

But your letter makes me realize that what is key to my successful
management at this time of year are issues of timing, splitting,
queenrearing, buildup, and honey production.  I'd enjoy hearing about
successful tricks of the trade from others such as Bob or Allen, or any of
the many lurkers who are excellent beekeepers.

Allen, how about kicking off a discussion by explaining the basic details
of how you managed hives in spring for commercial honey production in
Canada.  The List can then discuss the minutiae.
--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA