ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jason Jay Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2012 21:51:50 -0400

There's a great Bug Zoo in Victoria, B.C., and they maintain an ant colony or two, and have some dynamic programming around their bug collections.
They aren't the only bug zoo; the original poster might want to follow a track to some bug zoo staff. Not sure we have bug zoo folks on this list.

--Jason

Jason Jay Stevens
Flutter & Wow Museum Projects

P. O. Box 21576
Detroit, MI 48221

210.364.6305

On May 25, 2012, at 12:03 PM, Charlie Carlson wrote:

> Hi Beryl,
>
> I don't recall them doing anything with pheromones directly, but may be wrong. I only sorta saw it twice.  Leaf cutter ant colonies were briefly popular until people realized that somethings were better left in nature, like ant colonies.  (Since our collective memories are so short, and history collection so poor (like most other life forms), they're frequently rediscovered and reattempted, and sometimes they work and sometimes we discover new stuff.  It's our simultaneous damnation and salvation, and an essential part of inventive spirit.)
>
> Cal Academy attempted doing an exhibition with some voraciously predatory ants, but a parasitic beetle endemic to the cricket "prey" for the ants proved more than a match for the ants under captive conditions.
>
> They gave it the old college try.
>
> Maybe others can add some info.
>
> Charlie
>
> Of courses these reflections and opinions are mine and not my institutions.
>

> Sent from Charlie's iPad
>
> Berkeley, CA
> Mobile 510-499-8086
> Skypein: (510) 984-3543

> Exploratorium
> 3601 Lyon St.
> San Francisco, CA 94123
>

> On May 25, 2012, at 5:41 AM, Beryl Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
>> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
>> *****************************************************************************
>>
>> I THINK the St. Louis Zoo did something like this years ago.
>> Beryl
>>
>> On May 24, 2012, at 7:52 PM, Claudia Bustos wrote:
>>
>>> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
>>> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
>>> *****************************************************************************
>>>
>>> Hello List-Serv Folks,
>>>

>>> I wanted to connect with anyone who has ever tested the Ant Pheromone
>>> Experiment either at your science centre/museum or for your own personal
>>> interest. I am interested in connecting with anyone who has explored ant
>>> pheromones in their institutions or for their own personal interests.
>>> Supposedly
>>> it is possible to obtain ant trail pheromones, draw a path using these
>>> chemicals, which ants will then follow.  Has anyone tried this as a
>>> demonstration or drop-in program?  I’m struggling to find an adequate
>>> protocol online that doesn’t leave me asking more questions about procedure
>>> and ethics.
>>>

>>> With that in mind, if anyone has tried to make this happen, it would be
>>> great to gain some insight into the following:
>>>

>>> - a)    Where did you source the pheromone from?
>>> - b)   Where did you get your ants from?
>>> - c)    What did you do with your ants after?
> [...]

Potter-Belmar Labs
Media Art + Live Cinema

210.364.6305