Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2012 11:01:05 -0400
I apologize that I cannot show any great certainty in this, but it was a
year ago and it is difficult to find out the level of the problem and where
it specifically happened. I know some stores where it was seen, but there
is no way I would cite them with such nebulous information. Plus, it was
extremely isolated was not much of an issue until recently when it was
picked up by an activist. In essence,dead bees were seen around hanging
planters in some stores.

It seems that the problems occurred last year and not with all baskets. It
appears that it may be related to baskets that came from out of country,
but that is a guess. The rationale is that they would have to have
pesticides and fungicides applied to get into the country.  Add that those
countries are not as stringent as the US on following label directions and
application levels could be much higher. This is conjecture.

From there the plot thickens. Tthere should not have been kills if there
were only the neonics.  But some neonics with some fungicides result in a
many fold increase in the kill level of the neonics.  Peter can give us the
citations on this, since it is in the literature. The applications were a
mix.

What is interesting in this is the condemnation of the neonics, when the
issue is more complex. Both the fungicide and the neonics, when applied
independently, are no problem, but some, and I emphasize some, applied
together are deadly. The problem is that there is little discernment so
emotion along with fixed points of view will predominate as was noted in
the post.

We have discussed this issue often, the synergy that might exist when more
than one substance is used to control pests. It appears that we have an
example here. The problem is - which do what to each other since both are
legal but together they should have restrictions. With the plethora of
fungicides and pesticides out there, who will find  out which ones are
problems together?

However, this one may be easy as the mix used is under a specific trade
name, but I am still trying to confirm this.

This synergy might also explain why some beekeepers have entirely opposite
experiences with the neonics. In both cases the neonics are not the problem
but the add-ons are. Sort of like the warnings on drugs- do not take
with...

Independently they cure you. Together you have major problems.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine