Date:
Wed, 2 May 2012 13:56:18 -0400
My apologies if I'm violating any list policies.  FYI, we've seen a  rapid
increase in small scale beekeepers in MT, a state that traditionally has
had lots of commercial beekeepers, few others.

The sudden interest in beekeeping has already spawned several bee  clubs,
and the development and setting in to place of municipal  ordinances that
allow urban beekeeping, set guidelines.

Last fall, the MT Beekeepers Association asked me to look into the new
interest, help establish some educational programs, set some standards.

As would be expected, they don't necessarily object to new beekeepers (some
 of these folks will some day want to retire, and their own kids/grand kids
may  not be interested in beekeeping as a career choice.  After all
commercial beekeeping, especially migratory beekeeping, is hard work and  can be
hard on families).

A growing pool of people trained in beekeeping would offer a  local pool of
potential employees, and ideally, some of these newbies may  some day want
to buy out a commercial beekeeping operation, letting the  beekeeper retire.
 All of this seems to me to be a good thing.

But, we're also seeing some newly minted 'experts' who have had a   hive or
two for all of a year or two.  The concern is that these new  beekeepers
get appropriate training, for the good of all.  Nothing wrong  with broadening
a pool of 'trainers', but it would help if there was some form  of training
and certification for them.

We also want to emphasize responsible beekeeping, respect for all forms of
beekeeping, and being a good neighbor to reduce conflicts, with neighbors,
other  beekeepers, the public.

So, we put together our version of a Master's Beekeeping   Course.  Our
first offering will be May 21-June  11.  The  first course is intended to serve
as a basic beekeeping/apprentice course;  with a fast track approach so
that the basics get set in place.  We're also  emphasizing hands on work with
bees, and a three-member teamof instructors, for  a really good
student/teacher ratio, with lots of individual contact  time.

I'm taking the lead, with 40 years of bee experience all over the US and in
 many other countries.  Scott Debnam is my bee manager, with close to 17
years of experience and specialized training such as Sue Colby''s
Instrumental  Insemination.  Phil Welch has over 20 years.  Both Scott and Phil were
trained by us, and they have been mainstays in our research.  Scott also  has
sampled lots of CCD yards in many parts of the US.  In other words,  we've
all been working with bees and beekeepers for many years.

Registations are rapidly coming in, so we're planning on the next  level,
follow on course to begin some time mid-summer.  All of  this has come
together remarkedly fast through our new University  Extended and Lifelong
Learning program (we've a new Dean).  In fact, I  heard this morning that FOUR
University Deans are interested in taking the  course - no pressure for us:).

So, with your permission, here's the link:  _www.umt.edu/bee_
(http://www.umt.edu/bee)  so you can see what we're  doing.  Expect the web page to
change a bit, we're still finding some  typo's, may rephrase some topics.

Lots of good books have appeared in last few years.  After lots of
deliberation, we finally chose Malcom Sanford's book - our Dean's wanted a real
course, with a text book.  Kim, Keith, Dianna, all have good books, and  these
are on our short list of related readings. The Canadian Beekeeping Manual
will  probably be(e) part of the next level courses.

This is experimental for us - things will develop and evolve.  Any  input
regarding content, etc. welcome.  WE are working on internet delivery  of
lectures and short courses.  Our objective is to provide context, with  LOCAL
expertise adding hands on experience, refining guidelines to 'local'
beekeeping.

Thanks

jerry