HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
adam heinrich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Dec 2013 21:41:07 -0500
Dear HISTARCH,

My apologies for resending this.  I had forgotten to change the
subject of my previous email, which may cause it to go unnoticed.

I am trying to find any publications on soap making in the
historic period, particularly anything dealing with faunal
remains.  From my understanding, fats used in soap production
would have been more likely to use subcutaneous fats like lard.
I am trying to address an anonymous claim that bones would have
been boiled for grease to make soap, but I am not familiar with
such research.

Thanks to Bob Skiles for the incredible reference, and any more
would be appreciated.

Thanks, Adam Heinrich