Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2012 21:28:43 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (36 lines)
Though I'm no expert, I'd agree that those disconnected pipes don't look too small in diameter to have been connections to hot-water radiators. I don't think the connection pipes to radiators in old houses I've seen/lived-in were much different in diameter than the pipe ends in your photos. Good idea/suggestion from Scott to question whether there's evidence of hot-water/radiator heating system in the basement.

JBJ

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Scott Wieczorek
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:14 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Utility Connections?

To me they look like disconnected pipe ends for hot water baseboard heat. Is there a boiler or an extra water heater in the utility room/basement? Have you seen extra dead-ended pipes in the utility room/basement? 

Hope this helps.

Scott Wieczorek, RPA

Sent from my iPod

On Dec 11, 2012, at 3:42 PM, Stacy Kozakavich <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> 
> This is a bit tangential to archaeology as it deals with the old operating systems of an extant house, but I'm sure there will be many people on this list with the experience and expertise to answer this question:
> 
> I'm trying to figure out what a couple of old utility/service connections are in the second-floor bedrooms of a 1911 house in the San Francisco Bay area. 
> 
> Pictures here: https://picasaweb.google.com/105553509479038352556/Utilities?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCK6Nzfby4rTl0QE&feat=directlink
> 
> I know I *should*  know what these are, but am drawing a blank - they don't quite look like water/steam heat system pipes as they're narrow diameter and there aren't any other traces of past radiators on the walls or floor. They seem too close to the floor to be connections for gas lighting. 
> 
> Anyone recognize these?
> 
> Thanks in advance,
> Stacy Kozakavich
> Oakland, CA

ATOM RSS1 RSS2