HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Giovanna Vitelli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Dec 2011 19:31:25 -0500
As indeed you will...
Folk magic has been explored from various ethnic angles - a reference
springs to mind that examines the shoe charm and also links American
practices to British folk traditions of the 19th c.

Davidson, J., 2010. Keeping the Devil at Bay: The Shoe on the Coffin Lid and
Other Grave Charms in Nineteenth- and Early Twentieth-century America.
International Journal of Historical Archaeology, 14(4), 614-49.