HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
paul courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2010 20:20:32 +0100
  In Europe we call these clearance deposits and they are not uncommon
in such features as cesspits- masses of them in Netherlands where brick
cesspits are common. They presumably represent household clearances such
as might follow the death of an occupant and the throwing out of old and
perhaps no longer fashionable goods. Items may also have been broken if
left in empty houses. Some clearance have been interpreted as being also
inn deposits who presumably periodically refurbished as do modern inns.
Raucous banquets may also account for some these clearances especially
in inns and high status houses. I am sure there is a US literature on
these as well.