HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 2011 13:17:23 -0400
From:
"David S. Rotenstein" <[log in to unmask]>
Recently there was some archaeological work done on a Baltimore mikvah: http://www.jewishtimes.com/index.php/jewishtimes/news/jt/local_news/historic_mikvah_confirmed_at_lloyd_street/23131 and http://mordechai7215.blogspot.com/2011/03/mikvah-excavation-confirms-observance.html.

I'd be really cautious about interpreting the material culture of Jewish sacred life by generalizing too much. Over the past 8 months as I've been researching eruvs I have found some interesting approaches to the construction of ritual spaces and how rabbinical laws and the Torah come into play in the design and execution of the architecture.

David Rotenstein

David S. Rotenstein, Ph.D., RPA
 <http://www.historian4hire.net/> http://www.historian4hire.net |  <http://www.linkedin.com/in/dsrotenstein> http://www.linkedin.com/in/dsrotenstein
Phone: (404) 326-9244