From:
Jeremy Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2012 08:23:02 -0800
>>I would rather see people taught to recognize AFB and to know to reach

>>out for help if they think their hives have it.

I cannot agree enough with the importance of recognizing AFB.  Last year I had the opportunity to speak at a few local beekeeping clubs and regardless of what topic I was discussing, I made sure to show at least one good picture of AFB during the beginning of the presentation.  Some bee clubs around here have gone from 12 members to over 100 attendees in the last 3 years.  I tell them to always have an experienced beekeeper to examine any suspicious brood.

I know how difficult it can be to find AFB as I spent a good portion of last spring going through my own hives with various stages of European foulbrood, sacbrood, and corn yellow brood only to finally find one with some light AFB.

--Jeremy Rose
San Luis Obispo, CA