ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jamie Alonzo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 2011 12:59:38 -0500

Hi all,

Jamie Alonzo here from the Maritime Aquarium in Norwalk, CT (formerly of
Yale’s Peabody Museum of Natural History).  My new institution is signing
up as an ASTC member institution and I’m excited for my new staff to attend
next year’s conference.  I’m writing with a last-minute search for anyone
interested in getting involved in a 2012 conference session focused around
successful whole school partnerships.  Below, I am including a draft
version of a proposal. If you are interested, please let me know ASAP.  I
am particularly keen to recruit [international] representation from a
traditional science center, museum and/or zoo in the interest of maximizing
a difference of perspective.  Thanks in advance.

Everything best - happy holidays,

Jamie Alonzo

_____________________________
*
*
*Jamie J. Alonzo*
*Director of Education*
***The Maritime Aquarium*
10 North Water Street, Norwalk, CT 06854
*
*
*203 852 0700 x2337*
_____________________________

*Title*: Formalizing Informal Science Education

*
*

*Session Summary*:  Informal science/school partnerships are ubiquitous,
ranging from small to large, informal to formal, perfunctory to intricate.
In this session, we’ll explore 3 models of whole school partnerships.
Roundtable discussions will focus on the establishment, maintenance and
features of effective partnerships, with special attention to funding,
evaluation and other challenges.

*
*

*Session Description*: The majority of science centers work with schools to
implement programming for K12 students.  Programs range from one-offs (e.g.
field trips), to “high touch” interventions (e.g. career ladder programs).
Though tremendous potential exists around “high touch” partnerships between
formal and informal institutions, politics and a lack of motivation or
resources frequently get in the way.  Where informal and formal
institutions are able to navigate these roadblocks, a host of positive
outcomes are possible: Benefits ranging from teacher professional
development and student achievement, to the realization of science center
mission and goals.  Whole school partnerships – defined as collaborations
where science centers work across multiple grades over multiple years –
provide a replicable model for how science centers and the formal education
sector can work together toward a common good.

*
*

*Goal*: In this presentation, three institutions will present the process
they went through to establish successful, whole school partnerships,
including discussions of context, challenges, funding, evaluation and a
“Rubric for Success”. Roughly ¾ of the session will be devoted to round
table discussions.