ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lorne Covington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2012 21:32:36 -0400

Somebody needs to help these folks out with their website usability.
Getting to any real information required a lot of click-throughs and
back-tracking, and even after 15 minutes I have a virtually no idea how
the respondents compare.  It IS very important stuff, but their message
is going to get lost in all the obfuscation.  Summary data needs to be
presented up front and in a form allowing direct descent into specifics
and comparison.

The essay responses are good, but as they allow the respondents to
further obfuscate and politicize, actual meaningful information gets
even harder to find.  I think the addition of direct yes/no questions,
multiple choice, and specified rating scales would be more informative.
In contrast, the poll data on the relative importance of science as a
debate topic on the same site is clear and quickly digestible.

For instance, I would like to simply know which of the people on the
various science related committees think evolution by natural selection
is true, what they think the age of the earth is, and if global warming
is happening and if so what the source of it is.

But of course the real message, the scary message, is in the simple
number of how many did not respond.  But maybe not being faced with
essay questions would help that too.

Thanks for the link, I'm going to give that site this feedback (and
more!) as well.

- Lorne

--
http://noirflux.com