ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lorne Covington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2012 20:23:26 -0400

I think they are being a tad sensationalist with the angle that
brainstorming was a huge mistake, and only makes sense in a definition
of the process that is narrower than most people associate with the
term.  But they are correct in that criticism must not be omitted.  In
my experience (decades of new product development and research, and most
recently coaching an Odyssey of the Mind group of eight-year-olds, by
far the most challenging to date ;^)) the best mix is when the initial
round of brainstorming is in fact criticism free, but that immediately
after no one can think of more positive ideas, everyone gets to tear
apart anything that's been put on the table.  Properly managed conflict
can be tremendously productive.

A very useful addition I have found is that everyone has to think of a
positive aspect for each idea; you'd be amazed how many times I have
seen people who were immediately critical and dismissive of an idea come
up with wonderful insights and make it far better than the original.
Smart people just can't keep from trying to show off how smart they
are.  And in a way this is an artificial introduction of conflict, in
daring someone to come up with something good about an idea they don't like.

Thanks for the articles!  I enjoyed them (and enjoy this list).

- Lorne