ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Glenn Walsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:17:26 +0000

>on science knowlede/literacy?
>Motivation to study one of the sciences?
>Career and/or academic choice?
>
>Citations would be most helpful

For the 50th anniversary [on 1989 October 24] of Pittsburgh's Buhl
Planetarium and Institute of Popular Science, a special book was produced
with testimonials from some of the hundreds of people who visited Buhl
Planetarium, and/or attended Buhl Science classes or participated in Buhl's
annual Science Fair. Many of these people went on to Science and
Science-related careers.

One entry was from former Space Shuttle astronaut, Jay Apt, who said: "Buhl
classes are probably the best preparation for a technical career I can
imagine."

This book was titled, "Lives Touched...World's Changed, Fifty Years of
Allumni Achievements;" this project was known to the staff as "The Proof of
the Pudding." This 39-page book is available, on-line, in its *entirety* at
the following URL:

< http://buhlplanetarium3.tripod.com/BuhlProofofthePudding.htm >

gaw

Glenn A. Walsh
  Electronic Mail - < [log in to unmask] >
  Internet, World Wide Web Sites -
  History of The Buhl Planetarium and Institute of Popular Science,
Pittsburgh:
  < http://www.planetarium.cc >
  History of The Adler Planetarium and Astronomy Museum, Chicago:
  < http://adlerplanetarium.tripod.com >
  History of Astronomer and Optician John A. Brashear:
  < http://johnbrashear.tripod.com >
  History of Andrew Carnegie and Carnegie Libraries:
  < http://www.andrewcarnegie.cc >
  The Duquesne Incline, historic cable car railway, Pittsburgh:
  < http://www.incline.cc >

>From: "Friedhoffer, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Quantitative Research on Effectiveness of Museums
>Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 08:43:51 -0400
>
>ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
>Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related
>institutions.
>
>Greetings
>
>Does anyone know of any studies that show the effect of:
>
>Science Museum Visits
>Guest lecturerers in science invited into a school setting.
>Guest lecturerers invited into an informal community based organization
>setting
>
>on science knowlede/literacy?
>Motivation to study one of the sciences?
>Career and/or academic choice?
>
>Citations would be most helpful
>Similar studies in fields other than science are also of interest.
>
>Thank you
>
>Bob Friedhoffer
>City University of New York - CASE
>365 5th Avenue - #3300
>NYC, NY  10016
>
>www.scienctrix.com

>More information about the Informal Science Education Network and the
>Association of Science-Technology Centers may be found at
>http://www.astc.org.
>To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
>message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to

Concerned that messages may bounce because your Hotmail account has exceeded
its 2MB storage limit? Get Hotmail Extra Storage!
http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es