ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carlyn S Buckler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2012 17:13:24 +0000

Hello Folks -

It has been mentioned that the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) for K-12 STEM Education draft is out, and that this is the time for feedback.  It is my belief that these standards are firmly based on rigorous education research, and that we as a community value the cross-discplinary structure and clear – and new, since the 1996 standards – emphasis on climate change and evolution.  I think it is safe to anticipate that there will be a wide variety of opinions expressed.  If we want these principles to become part of our national science standards, the support and comments regarding content will be imperative if the NRC and others in Congress, etc. are to justify including them in the NGSS.

Therefore, it bears repeating that it is very important for as many of us as possible to voice an opinion on the content of these standards. Those wheels that squeak the most, will get the recognition.

However, if you've looked at the NGSS, you know that it would be very time consuming to review all standards and comment. Our best bet may be to review only the standards that apply to our individual knowledge base.  To that end, a brilliant colleague of mine has distilled the process a bit on how to review the standards, and how to comment.  Basically,

  1.  watch the video (2 minutes) which explains the structure of the standards, and look at the diagram to
  2.  choose which standard(s) applies to your content knowledge, and
  3.  then comment.

1.  As the video shows  here<http://www.nextgenscience.org/how-to-read-the-standards> , you can choose a few different ways to color-code the text, and there are also explanations that pop up when you roll over text within the narrative.
After watching the video and looking at the diagram go to this page:
http://www.nextgenscience.org/search-standards
That takes you to a different, I think clearer, presentation of the standards than when searching by individual performance standard.

2.  From that page, it's easier to scan for specific content at specific levels. As an example, or as a starting point, one can look at:

MS.LS-NSA Natural Selection and Adaptations
That's in the middle school life science section, and the direct link is here:
http://www.nextgenscience.org/msls-nsa-natural-selection-and-adaptations

Or, perhaps look at Climate Change at the High School level:
HS.ESS-CC Climate Change
http://www.nextgenscience.org/hsess-cc-climate-change

3.  After you look over the content and have some suggestions/comments, you can voice your opinion at:

https://achieve.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_9tYcVBMRgyCbcLq

Some questions one might consider when reviewing are:  What do I like or agree with in the new standards?  Are there concepts or wording that is missing in the narrative? Under the "Common Core State Standards Connections" listed at the bottom of every standard, are there connections to STEM that are missing, or could be explained more concisely?

As those who carry the torch for communicating science to the public, the members of ASTC are uniquely suited to do this type of review.  Please let me know if I can answer any questions, and Thank You for considering this ---  Your Vote DOES Count -

Cheers!
Carlyn

Carlyn S. Buckler, Ph.D.

Senior Education Associate
Paleontological Research Institution
and its Museum of the Earth & Cayuga Nature Center
Adj. Asst. Professor Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
State University New York, Oneonta
1259 Trumansburg Road, Ithaca, NY 14850
Ph: (607) 273-6623 ext. 25
www.MuseumoftheEarth.org<http://www.MuseumoftheEarth.org/>