Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2011 18:03:41 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (123 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

This is a true challenge. But if you really want to understand the teen population, you have to step out of "the literature, seminars, and workshops" and into the actual lives of this and any other group of people you try to serve. Otherwise, hire an agency to do this proper. All else are static reports that can't keep up with this constantly changing population. The lack of resources is understood. 

A good source for tips and one or two tricks: http://www.intelg.com/

Thanks

Hever
OMSI 

-----Original Message-----
From: Informal Science Education Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Joan Freese
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:32 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Successful Teen Programs and research

ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

The University of Minnesota has an upcoming event on this topic. It's free and you can attend in person or online:

http://www1.extension.umn.edu/youth/training-events/events/engaging-older-youth.html

Joan

Joan Freese  |  Web and Print Producer  |  SciGirls 
tpt Twin Cities Public Television  |  651.229.1339    
[log in to unmask]
172 East Fourth Street  |  Saint Paul, MN 55101

Our mission: "Enrich lives and strengthen our community through the power of the media."

From: Informal Science Education Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Staci Cameron
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2011 11:27 AM

ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Hi Karen,

We are just a hop, skip and jump away from you in Ontario and I didn't know about your program! My experience has been that when we have had events occur only several times a year, attendance dropped off... At in my former job, staffing limitations often was a barrier to providing more frequent events. The support system is much different here, but I'd still be very interested to know how you pulled it all together.

Thanks,
Staci

Staci A. Cameron
Community Partners Coordinator
Center for Science Learning
Buffalo Museum of Science
1020 Humboldt Parkway
Buffalo, New York 14211
Ph: 716.896.5200 ext. 343
Fax: 716.897.6723
[log in to unmask]

From: Informal Science Education Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Karen Hager
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2011 12:14 PM

Here at the Ontario Science Centre, we piloted a new teen-focused program called SciFri about 2 years ago.  I'm happy to say that it continues to run quite effectively and is now an important part of our science engagement offerings to our visitors.  The program runs 4-5 times a year on a Friday night after we close.  It is for youth ages 14-19.  There was an article in a past ASTC Dimensions newsletter on the program that outlined how we pulled the program together and some of the challenges we faced.  Since it's pilot phase, we now have introduced a Youth Advisory Council which works with our programmers to come up with content, delivery ideas, topics, etc. to ensure we are programming effectively for this very unique audience.

I'm happy to help out by sharing more information if you are interested.
Just send me an email and I can put you in touch with a few others who have been working with me on this program.  

Best regards,
Karen

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft.
To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to [log in to unmask]

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to [log in to unmask]

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2