ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carey Tisdal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2011 15:43:07 -0600

Actually, I was taught evolution in high school in the ninth grade in the
mid 60s in a small town in Western,Oklahoma. I can still remember Mr.
Bruce's lesson on physical simliarlies between animals in different species
and information on the on a move from classification by similarities (we did
insects collections) to explanations for reasons for simlarities in
scientific research. Yes, he used the word evolution. After that we
dissected a frog. I can still visualize the heart, lungs, and especially the
liver in that frog and fighting my lab partner, the class science nerd, to
let me do part of it. I remember making the connection to those organs in
the human body and wondering if my own liver looked greenish brownish yellow
like the liver in the frog. . He took us on two field trips, two hours away,
one to a zoo and other to the Wichita Mountains where we talked about the
differences in the plants and animals there and the ones in the high plains
where we lived and adaptation. (There were all those trees in those
mountains. We didn't have that many trees!)  He was a marvelous teacher! He
had a masters degree in biology because at that time smart farm kids could
afford to go to a state university and study science. (Even if they had to
eat ketchup on crackers when they ran out of money. He told the class,
almost of all of whom had parents who hadn't attended college, about that,
too.)

Was he particularly brave? I don't know. He had gotten in trouble in another
school system for a frank discussion of reproduction. Thus, his lecture to
us was literally on the birds and the bees and fortunately the
aforementioned science nerd (who had built an RF transmitter to record
teachers from class) got it taped. (I know. Probably not legal.)  It was
hilariously funny and we all played to our parents who laughed, too.

To me the real issue is the vulnerability of public school teachers. I
taught a couple of years between high school and grad school. I can still
remember realizing half way through teaching a play that it had a rape scene
and laying awake at night worrying and if a parent got upset the principal
would offer not support.  The pressure on teachers is immense and they are
not protected by adminstrators or covered by the same traditions/contractual
agreements about academic freedom that college professors are. School
goverance is a huge issue. Asking individual teachers to take all the hits
without developing some systemic means of protecting them won't work.
Teacher education and workshops will have little effort because they do not
address the places in the system where the issues lie.

IMHO.

Carey

Carey Tisdal
Tisdal Consulting