ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lou Mayo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2012 11:18:27 -0400

Thanks to so many of our wonderful partners in the museum and science
center community, the June 5/6 2012 NASA Sun Earth Day was an enormous
success! We streamed video of the transit of Venus from atop Mauna Kea
through the NASA EDGE webcast and pulled in video streams from around
the world (India, Norway, England.....) through NASA TV. By all
accounts, this is the biggest event NASA has ever sponsored in terms of
shear numbers of people reached. We know that over 4,300 museums,
planetariums, and science centers around the world registered for the
program and we believe there were many more who did not register but who
also carried the feeds in their centers or held a transit event or
transit observing program.

We would like to gather some data - number of people you reached,
stories of transit events you held and even pictures if you would like
to share them with us. We can put them up on our NASA Venus Transit
Flickr page ( http://www.flickr.com/groups/venustransit ).

If you have numbers, stories, or pictures you would like to share, you
can respond to this ASTC listserve email or send them to me directly at

Thanks again for making this last in a lifetime event truly memorable!!
We hope you will join us in 2013 for "Solar Max, Storm Warning". By the
way, I believe we're in for a major storm on the 4th (
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/03/solar-flare-2012-sun-storm-fourth-of-july_n_1645606.html
)

Best,
Lou Mayo
Astronomer / Program Manager NASA Sun Earth Day team.
http://sunearthday.nasa.gov