ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 2012 13:53:24 -0600
Sender:
From:
Wendy Pollock <[log in to unmask]>

For those following the discussion of the proposed reduction in the FY13
NSF budget for informal science education, here is related news from NOAA,
another US federal agency that has given important support to the field.
The rest of this message quotes from a NOAA Office of Education email sent
today:

"We realize that it has been a while since we’ve sent out an announcement
about the NOAA Environmental Literacy Grants program, so we want to give
you a brief update about where things stand.  Unfortunately, our budget for
the current fiscal year has still not been finalized, so we’re not able to
provide any information regarding the status of the applications held over
from our Fiscal Year 2011 competition.  We remain optimistic that we will
receive our final budget numbers soon, and we will put out an announcement
on this mailing list as soon as possible regarding the results of the 2011
funding opportunity.  You can also keep an eye on our website for updates:
www.oesd.noaa.gov<https://owa020.serverdata.net/owa/redir.aspx?C=108fc0a1d63e4fa886ab542cff31089e&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.oesd.noaa.gov%2f>

"We also want to let you know that the President’s budget request for
Fiscal Year 2013 has been released to the public.  The funding line for
NOAA Office of Education’s Competitive Grants portfolio, which includes the
Environmental Literacy Grants program, has been eliminated from the budget
request.  As a result, the future of the Environmental Literacy Grants
program is uncertain.  However, the staff at the Office of Education
remains committed to supporting the education community and is hopeful that
a way will open up for us to continue providing funding opportunities to
the public.

"You can read more about the President’s budget request at
http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/budget/fy2013/assets/ccs.pdf<https://owa020.serverdata.net/owa/redir.aspx?C=108fc0a1d63e4fa886ab542cff31089e&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.whitehouse.gov%2fsites%2fdefault%2ffiles%2fomb%2fbudget%2ffy2013%2fassets%2fccs.pdf>.
  Details about the proposed cuts to NOAA’s Office of Education can be
found on p. 77 of the document.   If you are interested in more details
about how the President’s budget request will affect NOAA, Under Secretary
Dr. Jane Lubchenco will hold a Constituent Budget Briefing at the
Department of Commerce on Thursday, February 16, 2012 from 1-3 p.m.  Address
and call-in information for the briefing are provided below.

"As always, please feel free to contact the Office of Education Grants Team
anytime at 202-482-0793 or at
[log in to unmask]<https://owa020.serverdata.net/owa/redir.aspx?C=108fc0a1d63e4fa886ab542cff31089e&URL=mailto%3aoed.grants%40noaa.gov>.

Sincerely,

The NOAA Office of Education Grants Team

****

We would like to invite you to attend a briefing on the President's Fiscal
Year 2013 Budget Request for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric
Administration.

Under Secretary Jane Lubchenco will lead the briefing, and afterward, she
and other NOAA leaders will be available to answer questions and respond to
comments.

WHO: Dr. Jane Lubchenco, Department of Commerce Under Secretary for Oceans
and Atmosphere

WHAT: Constituent Briefing on the Fiscal Year 2013 Budget for NOAA

WHEN: February 16, 2012; 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm

WHERE: Department of Commerce Auditorium, 1401 Constitution Avenue NW.  *Please
enter through the 14th Street, NW entrance.*

Please register using the URL below to ensure a seat at the briefing.

If you are unable to attend in person, we have set up a toll-free
teleconference line.  Please register at the URL below and indicate you
will be calling in to receive the dial-in information.

http://events.constantcontact.com/register/event?llr=xgwsbvdab&oeidk=a07e5i2vou860ce021d

<https://owa020.serverdata.net/owa/redir.aspx?C=108fc0a1d63e4fa886ab542cff31089e&URL=http%3a%2f%2fevents.constantcontact.com%2fregister%2fevent%3fllr%3dxgwsbvdab%26oeidk%3da07e5i2vou860ce021d>

Wendy Pollock
1410 Oak Avenue