Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Sep 2011 23:33:40 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (53 lines)
I have run across this at my hospital when moms come back from their BTL.
The order for pump an dump for 24 hours came from the anesthesiologist and the "offending" drug was versed.
Maybe they got their info from the PDR?
I printed out info from all our favorite resources; showed them to an OB MD and he read them.
Then he wrote an order in the chart allowing BrFdg immediately.
But an official Policy? That's harder to overcome. 
Phyllis

---- Fay Bosman <[log in to unmask]> wrote: 

=============
I was horrified today to find out that one of our two local hospitals here in Vancouver, WA, forbids breastfeeding for 24 hours post surgery, and insists that any pumped milk be dumped. I am trying to find out if the other hospital has the same policies. Maybe I have been living with my head buried in the sand for the past 7 years (during which I have been doing breastfeeding counseling), but somehow this little “hospital policy” managed to sneak by me!

Our WIC office has had 2 excl bfing moms this week needing gall bladder surgery. One mom was allowed to have her baby room with her, but was still not allowed to bf or use her 24hr-post-surgery pumped milk. The other mom has not yet been admitted for the surgery (we anticipate that she will be tomorrow), but she knows about the policies.

In the past, I have advised moms of the evidence-based recommendation to wait until the anesthesia has worn off before bfing, and I suggested to moms (who were being told that they couldn’t bf for 24 hours or more) that they share the research with their docs or anethesiologists. (Examples - http://www.guideline.gov/content.aspx?id=11232 or www.bfmed.org/Resources/Download.aspx?filename=Protocol_15.pdf ) I hadn’t heard back that there had ever been any issues, so I (wrongly) assumed that everything was fine.

With gall bladder surgery, at least, there is often no time prior to the surgery to prepare by pumping and storing milk. So what’s a mom to do in this situation? Sure, she can keep her supply up by pumping and dumping, so that’s not the issue. But I think it is absolutely immoral to *force* a mother to use artificial milk with known risks, while banning her from feeding her exclusively breastfed baby (under six months old) her breastmilk with evidence-based “acceptable” levels of anesthesia! 

So – can any hospital-based LCs on this list comment on their own hospital’s policies in this regard? And any idea on how strict their policies are? Can they be overruled by the mom’s doc? Can the mom insist on bfing her baby, or not dumping her milk, and refuse to give formula? Or would that be even worse – by potentially involving Child Protective Services? Anyone have words of wisdom for how I could approach this with the full intent of getting the hospital(s) to change this ridiculous policy?

Thanks!

Fay Bosman, IBCLC
www.nwmothernurture.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

--
Phyllis Adamson, BA, IBCLC, RLC
Glendale, AZ.
[log in to unmask]

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2