Tue, 13 Sep 2011 11:21:16 +0200
I am trying to study about BF babies with Down syndrome, and I have a
doubt for which I need your experience.

I am reading a pamphlet from LLL International (Unit 9 Lactation
Consultant Series - Helping a Mother Breastfeed her Baby with Down
Syndrome, by R.B. Saenz) and I find this sentence:
"babies with a weak sucking reflex may benefit from being held in a
horizontal position at the breast, with thighs and knees flexed. The
flexed position increases resting muscle tone throughout the body and
helps alleviate the baby's tendency to hyperextend his body."

Now, I wonder how this fit with the semi-reclined position of Biological
Nurturing.
Is this position helpful for hypotonic babies?

I suppose that it could be helpful for small chin and other
characteristic of the mouth of the baby with down syndrome, but how does
it work for the muscle tonicity issue?
What positions have you found that works well with hypotonic babies
(with down syndrome)?

(I am well aware that down syndrome can determine a wide variety of
situations, so here I am concerned especially about the muscle tone aspect).

Thank you for your help,
Micaela
LLL Leader,
Italy