HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Melissa Diamanti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2010 03:13:08 -0800
I agree with Bob that the most likely identification is a cistern, for water storage, rather than a privy. The circular top hole and possible association with piping are indicative.
One thing to look for is whether there is any evidence of mortar or plastering on the inside brick face (not roof but sides) to help seal the walls to retain water?
The puzzling part is that you said it was at the back of the property. They are usually near a corner of the house, so that rainwater from the roof channels in to fill the cistern.
Meli Diamanti