HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Emery, Jason A (CTR)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2010 14:59:02 -0600
From what I have seen in New Orleans following the Hurricane Katrina
Demolitions, the feature in your photos appears to be a cesspool. We
have recorded, literally hundreds. I did have an attached file from
Civic Science in Home and Community, G. Hunter and W. Whitman, American
Book Company, New York: 1923, which contained line drawings of cesspools
and the "progressive" septic system.

Of note is the description on page 104: "Most country homes nowadays
have a cesspool, or a deep hole dug in the earth, with an open bottom,
uncemented rock or brick walls and a covered top.  It is usually
situated a few feet away from the house, and receives all the sewage
which drains out gradually into the surrounding soil through holes at
the sides and bottom" (Hunter and Whitman: 1923).

Hope it helps.

Jason A. Emery
SHPO Liaison to FEMA for Archaeology

Desk: (504) 762-2228